Wednesday, December 19, 2012

We Don't Play With Guns At School

I am grateful that early childhood education emphasizes social-emotional development, as it helps ensure that students will mature into self-regulating and independent individuals. And I strongly believe that teaching preschool students (and all students, for that matter) to connect meaningfully with each other is vital. Only when students learn the power of empathy can they develop genuine relationships.

More than anything, I am thankful to work in a field built on the ideals of joy and love. I am proud that my kids feel safe in my classroom and that they know that they are loved by me. And while I understand that they may sometimes face things no child should, I take solace in knowing that, aside from the occasional tantrum, my kids have had positive experiences in our school thus far. This reaffirmed my response to Samiyah on Friday.“Yes, guns hurt people, and we don’t hurt each other in school. Instead… we… tickle each other!” Their innocent laughter filled my heart as we played on the carpet, a sound that serves as a hopeful reminder of the joy of this work.

http://www.teachforamerica.org/blog/we-dont-play-guns-school

No comments:

Post a Comment